Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hear The Sirens Interview!


I recently interviewed Scott from Hear The Sirens.

PPND- Thanks for joining me for this interview. I’m an insanely huge fan of Hear The Sirens. In 2007 I used to go to your Myspace everyday to listen to Anywhere But Home. Rebel Hearts Lost is one of my favourite albums of the last ten years.

Hear The Sirens- Wow! Thank you so much


PPND- How is the new material coming along? Musically it seems like your sound has matured with your new track “Some Sort of Stability”.

Hear The Sirens- I'm really excited for the new material and it's coming along great, we decided to record it ourselves and take our time writing and tracking. Just finished drum tracks yesterday and they sound awesome! I would say some of the songs our different and more mature, but other songs we just decided to write fast punk anthems again. It's a good mix of everything we have done!


How’s the scene in your area of California?

Hear The Sirens- The past few shows I've been to whether it's big bands, small bands, touring bands, or local bands have all been a lot of fun. It seems like everyone is more pumped on going out to shows and I run into the same people all time time, good times.


PPND- What is your favourite song to perform live?

Hear The Sirens- My favorite song to play live is probably You're A Fucking Ghost. It's slow and fast and people seem to have a good response to it. We usually play it last, I'm pretty drunk by that point so it's probably not as exciting as I think


PPND- When I first heard the song “Silence Will Keep You Alive” I thought it was a Straight Edge anthem. Could you explain what that song is actually about?

Hear The Sirens- Funny story about that song, our guitar player at the time did the artwork for the record and misplaced "Thank You David" and “Silence Will Keep You Alive” on the tracklisting. The acoustic song is “Silence Will Keep You Alive” and the ridiculously hard song is "Thank You David"

If you are talking about "Thank You David" then that song is about people who live privileged and comfortable lifestyles but still find a way to complain about their lives, when there is way worse stuff happening to people through out the world. We were young and angry screaming at the world. David from All Teeth does that guest vocal part and he was wasted so that elimates it being a straight edge anthem!

If you are talking about “Silence Will Keep You Alive” then that song is about going into a situation where you thought you were going to belong and still feeling out of place, basically me going to college.


PPND- Lyrically which song of yours is the most important to you?

Hear The Sirens- I really enjoy the lyrics to "Lets Say All The Things We Never Said Before" it's basically me telling myself to stop being a cynical asshole, I've just recently started taking my own advice.


PPND- What has been your favourite place to perform?

Hear The Sirens- We recently played our first show in 9 months in Santa Rosa, every show in the North Bay is always a lot of fun. Portland has also been a great place to play.


PPND- What was your favourite show that you’ve played?

Hear The Sirens- My favortie shows have been the All Teeth record release weekend. Both shows were packed and everyone went wild for every band. Dead To Me played both of the shows too, so seeing them two nights in a row was fun.


PPND- What was your all time favourite show that you went to see?

Hear The Sirens- Fat Wreck Tour 2005 two nights at Slims in SF.

Against Me!
Smoke or Fire
The Soviettes
The Epoxies

It was right when Searching For Former Clarity came out and my dad drove my friends and me to the shows and bought a us a bunch of beer for the drive out there.


PPND- You guys are definitely my favourite band that I’ve never seen live. Do plan on ever playing in Toronto?

Hear The Sirens- I would love to, after we are done recording we are for sure going to be hitting the road hopefully we can make it up to Toronto. I really want to go to the hockey hall of fame and drink maple syrup whiskey!


What bands are you guys really into right now?

Hear The Sirens- Frank Turner, Bedouin Soundclash, Dead To Me, The Hold Steady, The Flatliners


What was your favourite album of 2010?

Hear The Sirens-
Against Me!- White Crosses
Hostage Calm- Self Titled
The Flatliners- Cavalcade
The Riot Before- Rebellion
Make Do And Mend- End Measured Mile


What’s your favourite movie of 2010?

Hear The Sirens- Star Wars episode 1-6


PPND- What band do you dream of sharing the stage with?

Hear The Sirens- NOFX


PPND- Do you have any final comments to your fans?

Hear The Sirens- Thanks for all the support, can't wait to put out the new record! Hopefully we can tour soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment